Saturdays dinner – Buckwheat rissoles with guacamole and salad from the garden and roasted tomatoes from the garden.
Buckwheat is delicious but little known. If you have eaten true blini (little russian pancakes served with black caviar and sour cream) then you have eaten buckwheat. Contrary to its name and it’s appearance Buckwheat is not wheat, nor is it even a grain. Buckwheat is a fruit and is related to the rhubarb and sorrel family.
One of the best ways to introduce new food to your family is to fry. Frying seems to make everything just taste good. These buckwheat rissoles are very tasty and even a meat eater like the good man doesn’t mind them.
3/4 cup of buckwheat,
1 cup of buckwheat flour,
1 cup of plain flour,
1 1/4 cups of water,
1 finely chopped onion,
3 or 4 chopped cloves of garlic,
2 grated carrots,
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar,
1. Dry fry the buckwheat till it is golden and fragrant,
2. Add it to the 1 1/4 cups of water brought to the boil,
3. Turn heat down, cover and simmer till soft about 15 mins.,
4. Saute onion and garlic till soft, add balsamic vinegar and cook a couple of minutes.
5. Add to buckwheat with flour and egg.
6. Add grated carrot.
7. Combine all together and shape into rissoles/burgers.
8. Put on a plate with a little cornflour or buckwheat flour.
9. Sprinkle a little flour on top.
10. Place about a cm of oil in a frying pan and heat.
11. Add rissoles/burgers, turn heat down to around 8.
12. When golden and crispy turn over and cook the other side.
To stop food sticking the bottom of the pan, put the food into hot oil and don’t touch it till it has cooked underneath. One of the signs that it is cooked properly is that it will move without sticking. Once it will move flip it over and repeat on the other side.
Serve the buckwheat rissoles with guacamole and salad, and I roasted a big dish of small tomatoes with a salad dressing sprinkled liberally over.
P.S Buckwheat is gluten free as it is a fruit and not a wheat or grain. If you used 2 cups of buckwheat flour this would be a gluten free recipe.
When I cook them again, I will try them with only buckwheat flour and let you know how they go.
Enjoy new foods, thank you for visiting RosieG.